AT A GLANCE
Riak KV is a distributed NoSQL database that is highly available, scalable and easy to operate. It automatically distributes data across the cluster to ensure fast performance and fault-tolerance. Riak KV Enterprise includes multi-cluster replication ensuring low-latency and robust business continuity.
Riak TS is a distributed NoSQL database optimized for time series data. By co-locating time series data, Riak TS provides faster reads and writes making it easier to store, query, and analyze time and location data. Like Riak KV, Riak TS is highly available, scalable, and easy to operate at scale.
Best used: If you want something Dynamo-like data storage, but no way you’re gonna deal with the bloat and complexity. If you need very good single-site scalability, availability and fault-tolerance, but you’re ready to pay for multi-site replication.
For example: Point-of-sales data collection. Factory control systems. Places where even seconds of downtime hurt. Could be used as an updateable web server.
- Tunable trade-offs for distribution and replication
- Links & link walking: use it as a graph database
- Large object support (Luwak)
- Comes in “open source” and “enterprise” editions
- Full-text search, indexing, querying with Riak Search
- In the process of migrating the storing backend from “Bitcask” to Google’s “LevelDB”
- Masterless multi-site replication and SNMP monitoring are commercially licensed
- Secondary indices: but only one at a time